Monday, January 21, 2013

Aphids: the Bela Lugosi of the Garden


My first vampire experience was watching Bela Lugosi as Dracula.  I remember it clearly ~ the cape, the eyes, the fangs: a classic!   I must have seen the movie right about when I discovered what an aphid was.  I remember seeing hundreds of these little greenish bugs, lined up and down the plant stems in my mom's garden.  I swear they all had little capes, glowing eyes and the fangs.  They were clearly sucking the blood out of those poor plants!  If I put one on my neck, would it bite me, too?  What if one was already on my neck, sucking my blood?  Quick, better check my arms and legs -  MMMOMMMM!

That was when I was 25... actually about 10 and yes, I had quite an imagination.

Or did I?  Consider this:

Vampires: sometimes has wings, sometimes doesn't
Aphids: ditto
Vampires: sucks blood
Aphids: sucks (plant) blood
Vampires: injects toxins into host
Aphids: ditto
Vampires: leaves nasty looking puncture wounds
Aphids: ditto (named the ever so attractive "sooty mold")
Vampires: repelled by garlic
Aphids: well, not really...

To learn more about these B movie garden invaders and how to keep them from turning your garden into a Transylvanian movie set, click here.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Bela_Lugosi_as_Dracula-2.jpg
Bela Lugosi as Dracula

No comments:

Post a Comment